Premier Food Choice
QUICK & EASY RECIPES by Premier Food Choice: Japanese Surf & Turf (Wagyu Beef & Shrimp Tempura)
Halloween is just around the corner, and we’re sure many of you are scrambling for homemade meal ideas for a simple Halloween-at-Home celebration. We’re keeping it fun and simple this year with a Japanese surf & turf night to pair with our horror movie marathon.
On the menu: Wagyu Beef Cubes and Shrimp Tempura, using our Premier Wagyu Beef Striploin and Premier Black Tiger Prawns. We first discovered these recipes online, and they have since become one of our favorite feasts for any holiday. Try them out and see for yourself! We hope you love them just as much as we do.
Wagyu Beef Cubes
Premier Snake River Farms ¾” Wagyu Beef Striploin, 1kg
Daikon radish (alternatives: white turnips, red radish or cabbage), shredded
Kosher salt or rock salt,
Canola oil, 2 tbsp
Garlic, 2 cloves, sliced
Sake, 2 tbsp
Scallion, 1 piece
Store-bought or homemade ponzu sauce:
Soy sauce, ½ cup
Lemon juice, 6 tbsp
Orange juice, 2 tbsp
Mirin, 2 tbsp
1. Prepare your homemade ponzu sauce a day. In a mason jar, mix in all the ingredients. Keep in the refrigerator overnight. If you prefer store-bought ponzu sauce or Japanese soy sauce, you may skip this step.
2. Prepare your Wagyu beef cubes. Cut your Premier Snake River Farms Wagyu Beef Striploin into cubes, preferably 1 to 1 ½ inches.
3. Season your Premier Wagyu beef cubes with salt and pepper. As a rule of thumb, use at least 1 tbsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper. Set aside.
4. Prepare your vegetables. Slice your garlic cloves and scallion into thin strips.
5. Prepare your grated daikon. Cut a portion of your daikon radish depending on how much you want as a topping. Peel off the skin and grate the piece of daikon radish. Drain the liquid and set aside the grated daikon. If you do not have daikon, shredded cabbage or any other radish will do.
6. In a stainless-steel frying pan, add your canola oil. At medium heat, add the garlic and fry. Once it is golden brown, remove the garlic slices and let it try on a paper towel. Keep the leftover oil in the pan.
7. Turn it up to high heat and add in your Premier Wagyu beef cubes. Cook each side for at least one minute or until brown.
8. Once all sides are cooked, pour the sake and keep stirring the meat and the liquids. Keep cooking until you reach your desired doneness.
9. Transfer your Premier Wagyu beef cubes into a plate with garlic slices and scallions on top.
10. Pour your homemade ponzu sauce on top or you may opt to separate it in a side dish.
11. Top it off with your grated daikon or whatever alternative you choose.
Premier Black Tiger Prawns (1.8kg is equivalent to 42-55 pieces)
Cornstarch or potato starch
Canola Oil, 3 cups
Batter (good for 10 pieces)
1 large egg
Iced water, ¾ cup
All-purpose flour, 1 cup
Store-bought dashi, ¾ cup
Soy sauce, 3 tbsp
Mirin, 2 tbsp
Sugar, 2 tbsp
Daikon radish, grated (optional if available)
1. Prepare your hot pot. Choose a pot that is deep and big enough to fry all your shrimp. Pour your canola oil and leave heat at a temperature of 350F.
Prepare your tempura sauce. In a saucepan, add all your ingredients. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat and allow it to simmer. Once sugar is completely dissolved, stop the heat and set it aside.
2. Prepare your Premier Black Tiger Prawns by peeling off the skin and laying them flat and straight in a sheet pan.
3. Prepare your shrimp batter. In a cup with cold water, add your egg and whisk. In a separate bowl, sift your flour. Pour your egg into the bowl of flour and mix. Make sure you do not over mix and your batter remains cold.
4. Place your cornstarch or potato starch in a sifter and sprinkle over your Premier Black Tiger Prawns. Make sure all sides are covered.
5. Dip your Premier Black Tiger Prawns into the batter and coat all sides.
6. Check the temperature of your pot. Pro tip: Dip chopsticks into the pot. If small bubbles form around the chopsticks, you can proceed with deep frying.
7. Cook your Premier Black Tiger Prawns by deep frying for at least 2 minutes or until golden brown. Do not overcook and immediately transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
8. Serve on a plate with a side of tempura sauce and grated daikon (if available).
WHERE TO BUY QUALITY MEAT?
For these two recipes, we love using these Premier Food Choice items. Purchase them in our Beef and Seafood sections.
Premier Snake River Farms ¾” Wagyu Beef Striploin
Premier Black Tiger Prawns